Your home is more than a place to store your stuff while you’re at work. If you are buying your home, it’s an investment into your future as you can eventually live free of monthly payments or possibly rent it out for additional income. Neglecting maintenance of the establishment including its surroundings could become very detrimental to your future as problems could develop from even the smallest of situations. What are some minor fixes that could cause severe problems later on?
1. Leaks - If you live in an area that has hard water, leaks can do more damage than simply annoy you with a repetitive sound that prevents you from getting a good night’s sleep. Leaks can seize emergency shutoff valves and cause damage to the framework of your home through prolonged exposure. Aside from the structural integrity being at risk, a leak can also become a breeding ground for molds that can cause severe physical complications, especially for those who suffer from asthma or are otherwise allergic to such.
2. Crack in the Cement - Even the smallest of cracks could become quite troublesome over time. Like any other structure, cement can be subjected to the ravages of time. Unless the crack is sealed or repaired as soon as it develops, it can spread and widen to create an even bigger mess later on. For driveways, erosion of cement could eventually wear down the tires on your automobile increasing the likelihood of a blow-out. This is aside from the unsightly mess that eroded cement can leave behind.
3. Weather Stripping - Over time, windows and doors can become subject to developing gaps due to the expansion and shrinking of wood and other materials. Not only can this prevent your home from utilizing air conditioning and heating effectively when it’s needed the most, it can also open the door to insects and spiders that can cause problems within the home. Weather stripping doesn’t prevent this invasion of creatures absolutely, but it does limit access of the home providing yourself and your family protection from developing “bug bites” in the middle of the night.
4. Roof Damage - Storms can cause all kinds of damage to the rooftop. If you don’t monitor this damage regularly, you can open the door to all kinds of expensive repairs due to the ravaging of:
- Water damage
- Animals using insulation for nests
- Lost heating during the winter
- Wiring damage cause from animals
Even a small hole can be enough to eventually erode the surround materials to make a bigger mess later on. Any time there has been a serious storm or any object connecting with your roof top such as tree limbs, you should inspect the area to ensure that the roof hasn’t been compromised. Otherwise, you could spend a great deal of time and money repairing the home when it could have cost $2 and ten minutes worth of work.
Procrastination can be a very dangerous way of life, especially when it concerns the home. If a repair needs to be completed, it’s best to deal with the problem now before the damage escalates to the point of condemning the location. You need to care for your home if you expect it to take care of you in the future. Even the smallest of problems can cause great damage over time.
This is a guest post by Liz Nelson from WhiteFence.com. She is a freelance writer and blogger from Houston.